New thread for my cloud texture issue

More
19 years 6 months ago #11888 by Second Chance
Just updating my pic links.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago #12667 by GrandpaTrout
Hey, has anyone been building clusters lately? Found out any new bits of data? I am updating the tools again and thought I should ask.

More
19 years 1 month ago #12679 by Hot4Darmat
No, I'm not building any clusters, but I do want to say: "Nice Signature Banner!"

--
Hot4Darmat

More
19 years 1 month ago #12720 by Shane
I've built a new cluster which I'm currently testing/tweaking. What information are you looking for? Happy to test stuff while tweaking.

Some elements I'm dealing with are:

Every sun in the new cluster is a white dwarf (i.e., carries a blue texture and halo as if the star's color was set to 1). Even if I use data from an established system (like Santa Romera's sun) it still appears as a white/blue dwarf.

I've got an L-point which is 'squished' into an oval shape and does not function.

And other minor positional and visual tweaks. I've not placed any nebula in the system, and had decided to build a work-around to the dead gas giant core problem using a specific texture (my dead cores didn't show up either).

Currently my planets all feature the stock EoC textures. Once I get some other issues nailed down I'll look towards replacing them with new ones.

Some info: 8 systems, currently linked to Santa Romera. Sometimes traffic is generated at the L-points of the new cluster.

More
19 years 1 month ago #12721 by Shane
Solved the problem with the stars.

The (current?) Geography Data Converter 2.0 documentation lists the following values for a star:

command,name,parent name,distance from parent,rotation around parent,
elevation up/down parent, x orientation value, y orientation value, z orientation value, star color, command

While the stars in the EoC systems (i.e., Santa Romera) omit x,y,z orientation values.

So, since I was including these values (always zero for each one), the program was taking my first orientation value (x) as the star color.

Which means there is a star color of zero (which resembles a star color of 1 almost exactly).

After dropping the orientation values it works fine. :D

More
19 years 4 weeks ago #12737 by Shane
I solved the problem with the 'smushed' L-point by moving it deeper into the system.

As GrandpaTrout mentioned in the documentation: "If you place objects farther away than 1e15 meters from the center point, they will begin to drift around. At 1e16 they will drift by meters, at 1e18 they will be drifting by kilometers."

I believe the floating point coordinates, as they began to drift, warp the locational data (thus, warping the wireframe L-point). I've seen this behaviour with Lightwave before; a small object built and then moved past 5 megameters will distort greatly.

Also found a cleaner workaround to removing all planetary halos. Just create a blank .txt document (Notepad) then rename it PlanetHalo.LBM. Windows will throw a warning that the file may become unstable if you change its extention; just ignore it. Place the file in an appropriate mod folder. When Flux can't load the planet halo file, it simply ignores it and moves on.