iTrafficCreation and iScriptedOrders

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #12767 by GrandpaTrout
If it looks like traffic handles capsule jumps normally, then you can see what it might take to disable the standard traffic and yet still get the scripted orders to work correctly.

There is a file in EoC main directory called scripts.ini. If you comment out these two iStartSystem calls, it will disable all traffic in the game.

But I don't know what else it removes. I think it removes belts and nebula. It might remove critical waypoints or other special setups that the scripted orders need to operate correctly. Maybe pod spewer setup? Who knows. Well, I hope that you will know soon!

For seeing invisible objects, there are some really handy debug keybinds documented in the POG docs (it took me months to notice them).
Code:
[System] ; Run these scripts atomically when the player enters a new system ;enter[]=iStartSystem.StartupSystem enter[]=iTrafficCreation.DisableTrafficReport enter[]=iRangeCheck.DisableRangeReport enter[]=iStation.DisableStationReactiveReport ; Run these scripts atomically when the player leaves a new system ;exit[]=iStartSystem.ShutdownSystem

If it turns out that taking these calls out really wrecks things, we have another option. And that is a writing a little function that marks each station as traffic disabled. That would take out the PS traffic scripts, while (hopefully) allowing us to add new custom ones.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #12769 by Joco
Hmmm might be a bit off beam here but ...
I've been using a scenario mod for all my test to date so according to the pog docs

The advantage to running a script via the scenario feature, is that it provides an easy user-friendly way to activate your script. The disadvantage is that none of the default game scripts (such as traffic creation) will run so if you want traffic, etc. you'll have to call the setup functions manually.

Now I have not been starting PS traffic scripts specifically and as expected there has been no ambiant traffic. However my scripted orders stuff seems to have been operating ok.

On the belst and nebua stuff I still need to figure that out. I'm not overly familiar with the space map so need to sort out where to look for that stuff.

Cheers,
Joco.

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #12775 by GrandpaTrout
The scenario mod brings up an interesting point. Epic was originally intended as a conversion. And it essentially replaces the main game (as a mod however). Perhaps the scenario would work better. If it has all the standard cluster setups, but without the standard traffic - well, that is perfect and no extra work.

I guess I just need to understand how the game gets activated. And if the calling order for events changes. I wonder if you can enter and exit the base in that mode. Perhaps EricMan can offer some advice. GoldRush was scenario based and handled many of these items.

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #12776 by EricMan64
I can't think of anything really that would be different using a scenario. I know that the base screen can be used because the game automatically loads it when you load a saved game. This is why my load game code has to wait for the base and immediately close it. Assumably, docking to the base will still work just like it did before.

From my work in scenarios, I never really found any differences at all. It's just another way of loading the game engine, one that in my opinion, is a better method for mods.

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #12778 by Joco
EricMan - I agree. From what I can see Scenarios make the most sense if you are essentially provding a whole new game/story.

If you are providing added functionality/facilities to the standard game then normal mods make sense.

*shrug* Just my opinion.

Anyway - GrandpaTrout, any other areas you need help spreading work load on? I'm kind of in a "figure it out" groove here :)

Otherwise I'll get back to working on my ship debri package. Someone might find it interesting.

Cheers,
Joco.

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #12779 by GrandpaTrout
It would be nice to figure out how to get the traffic scripts to work without needing to call the iPilotSetup functions. Those functions set deathscripts and tend to call in help when attacked. It would be good to be able to use our own deathscripts and call back functions.

It might just require placing a second call to install AI pilot and overwriting the prior call backs and death scripts.

Otherwise, debris is a cool idea, and a better understanding of deathscripts is a good thought. One possible solution is to attach a second object to ship. A small object that hides inside the parent ship. And when the ship is destroyed, it gets wiped out, thus triggering your deathscript. Anyway, just a sideways thought.