Epic Code Release 3b

More
20 years 9 months ago #6537 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Epic Code Release 3b
Hi Aboe! Thanks for the encouragement! How is EvE going? Are most of the bugs out yet? Are the missions interesting?

-Gtrout

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 9 months ago #6541 by aboe
Replied by aboe on topic Epic Code Release 3b
Pretty addicted to EvE (certainly according to my wife).

It's a different kind a game then i-war2, less action bit more strategy and certainly focused on cooperation.
It can be rather dull like real live when you are doing repetitive actions like group mining.

Definitaly not an action game, although sometimes it can be thrilling when you 'r overwhelmed by pirates, want to warp away, see your shields go down, being afraid you loose the work of a few weeks. Already had the feeling, 'If I had done ...' by loosing my first nice ship, a Tristan frigate, by real player pirates. They are now on my deadlist ( a day will come....).

The game run's fine to me, there are still minor bugs but they don't disturb gameplay.

Have not played much of the missions, yet, can earn a better living with mining and trading. Working together with a few guys to get a small corp big.

I like 'the freedom to do whatever you want' aspect of the game.
That's what attracted me also to I-war2. The missions in I-war2 I played because I had too, and at the end, I found it a pity that there was still liniarity in the game if you wanted your char to develop.
What I read yet about the dev you'r doing with epic, it looks that you are breaking open this liniarity to get the open gameplay.

Anyway, I want to float again in the I-war universe, but first I have to clean (drop some other games) my HD to get I-war back installed.

Flying a dreadnaught Corvette was just like having a wet dream ;-)

Aboe

More
20 years 9 months ago #6545 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Epic Code Release 3b
Ahh... I was speaking of this to someone last week. There seems to be two different poles for space PC games.

One type is the space game. It looks for a good storyline and plot. Free-form games do not aid this, so these games are typically mission-driven, and have puzzles and challenges for the player. (i.e., Wing Commander series (excluding Privateer games)).

The other end of the spectrum is the space sim. This does not have the missions or major plot that the game has. Basically, it's a universe which the player can go to and spend a few hours being a pirate or trader or miner. An escape from real life.

I'll have to check out Eve. Number one on my to-do list.

No confusion; just wrong or right ... Only Solutions

More
20 years 9 months ago #6550 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Epic Code Release 3b
You might really like Frontier: First Encounter. It has been released shareware here:

www.eliteclub.co.uk/download/

Hours of fighting and trading fun. An truely endless galaxy. You can drop mining drones, trade, do assasan type missions. Run mail. Rescue some dolphins. There are a few scripted missions, but nothing as complex as EoC. And there are news magazines to read, and lots of ships to purchase.

Basically the whole reason I was pulled into space sims. I was into role playing type computer games before Elite.

I expect you would need dated hardware to run it. 486 era DOS.

-Gtrout

More
20 years 9 months ago #6557 by aboe
or this site, where you can download a a hacked and reverse-engineered version: JJFFE

www.eliteclub.org.uk/

JJFFE is set of recompiled replacement executables for the 1995 Frontier Developments game Frontier: First Encounters. There are currently versions that run under Windows 95/98/ME, Windows 2000, Windows NT4, OS/2 and Linux. As well as running on many more operating systems than the original, JJFFE also includes minor improvements and bugfixes.

More
20 years 9 months ago #6575 by aboe
I-war2 reinstalled, epic mods integrated, new game started.
First impressions: Well done job!!

Unigui looks very good and works fine.

One comment: please state somewhere that the epic unigui mod, wich can be downloaded from another page ( www.i-war2.com/epic/default.asp?nc=3851&id=27 ) is not to be implemented in the epic mods.

I thought it was an upgrade of the existing unigui, but the game halts when you activate the epic unigui instead of the unigui delivered with the epic3b mod.

Aboe