Ideas for faction relations

More
18 years 1 month ago #14939 by GrandpaTrout
Check the next forum up. After thinking and prototyping code, we would like to put some of these ideas into the US release (with release delay).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 1 month ago #14966 by GrandpaTrout
I implemented the faction relations slowly fading. I did make a design change. Some factions are just naturally hostile. And some factions are just naturally untrusting.

So instead of factions fading back to Neutral level, they now fade to a default level. So you might encounter something that makes the Epitaph defense machines friendly, but they will fade to hostile again, not neutral. Same with most criminal factions, they fade to Dislike.

More
18 years 1 month ago #14967 by cambragol
Sounds like a nice tweak to Shanes suggestion. Although with the Machines you would think that their level would not fade, being machines and all. But when dealing with normal human factions it sounds perfect.

More
18 years 1 month ago #14973 by GrandpaTrout
I posted a very spoiler laden discussion on bounty hunter script ideas in the developer only section.

More
18 years 3 weeks ago #15055 by theweasl
Not that I am like the rest of you who posted here. I am just a regular guy who happens to like the I-war series. Since I read everything I could about it after I started playing it. I found out about torn stars. I downloaded it, and I play it often. So first let me say Thank You for this wonderful game. Second let me say I have played well over the 40hrs that others have talked about and I have only fired shots twice. Both times due to the Indy tugs going hostile for no reason. The bastards have follwed me around for two hours after one of their teammates was killed by another faction. You know how two or three will travel together for a time then one will go hostile. I understand that had been fixed in Unstable Space. Thank You for that. Both times I just quit out of the game and restarted at my last saved point. It works for me.
I have been itching to shoot, so all this is really good. I'd like to rip someone off every now and again and not be hated for the rest of my life.
I would also like to see the empty fighters and cruisers that attack stations for no reason and then die get changed. It seems like a waste of time. From my perspective it serves no purpose.
Is it possible to have them roam the game and attack factions at L-points, or near bases. I sure could use some of the spoils of a big raid for my own profit. Also since this is a dangerous life we lead out here in the Middle States I should not be exempt from their wrath either.
All factions should be able to run and live from such an assault. Including me. Like when I jump into an L-point and their they are. I would like to be able to save at least most of my ships and goods. Or when I come up on an L-point and see these empty fighters attacking someone I should be able to run and live or help out and gain standing with the faction getting attacked. Esp. If I can kill a cruiser. I do not have any wingmen yet, but I plan to use some of my 3 million to get a few.
Also I should be able to stand off, lets say 45k and watch the carnage until the pods are left unattended, then go and collect.
Hey it's a dangerous life-someone's gotta die, someone's get the goods. Or someone's gotta be a hero. What ever my feeling of the day is, I should be able to get something/change my standing in the game.
Of course I have no clue how hard it is to make that happen, so let me say a last Thanks for letting me put my 2 cents in.
Bob

More
18 years 3 weeks ago #15059 by cambragol
Hi theweasl,

You raised some good points, and we are actually addressing much of what gripes you and others in the Unstable Space release. The suicidal attacks on station will gone (a remenant of the original game). Factions will forgive (or more rightly forget) hostile actions over time, allowing the player to satisfy that itchy trigger finger once in a while. I also believe that GrandpaTrout has the beginning of roaming 'operations' meaning fleets, which will included battles between different factions at various location, working.