Frigate possibilities for Epic and I-War

More
20 years 6 months ago #7435 by Cormorant
Here's a screenie of the Clark class tanker's thrusters:
www.ig-25.de/tanker_thrusters.jpg
I could imagine two of these on the frigate, if they wouldn't look too out-of-place

The Von-Schelling-style design proposed by jwk wouldn't really fit the era of this ship - it's supposed to be developped during the Independence War, the "golden age" of the classic NSO-style designs :D

btw, I also like the front of the ship pretty much, and the thick pylons are just what I had in mind. :) Please just don't forget the command module, as this will play an important part in the story.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 5 months ago #7440 by Shane

Here's a screenie of the Clark class tanker's thrusters:
www.ig-25.de/tanker_thrusters.jpg
I could imagine two of these on the frigate, if they wouldn't look too out-of-place

Thanks. That picture helps me visualize what you're after. More importantly, it give me a sense of the style you're looking for.

I'll work these into the model. Here's a few shots to let you know what I've changed so far. Take a look and try to visualize these engines on the rear, and let me know what you think.

Top view:
http://images.snapfish.com/338%3B366723232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3DXROQDF%3E23234676%3A5679ot1lsi

Left Side View:

http://images.snapfish.com/338%3B366723232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3DXROQDF%3E23234676%3A568%3Aot1lsi

I would not forget your comsec. :D The command section will dock in that small flat plane at the very front of the ship. When the basic shape is agreed upon, I'll use the remaining polys to add detail to the model (including the docking bay for the comsec).

Rounded shapes add to the poly count considerably. Currently, we're at 166 for the screen shots above. I'll use fewer sections and a higher level of smoothing on the cylindrical engines and see what I can get away with. ;)

@Jwk: Sorry, I somehow missed your post (on 4 Nov) to this topic. I'd have to agree with Cormorant on the engine types for the frigate, but also, I'm not quite ready to tackle animated engine types. I'll need some time to learn the animation channels flux uses before I'll attempt that.

But, eventually, I will attempt a ship which uses that thruster type. Maybe the ore-processor/carrier...

No confusion; just wrong or right ... Only Solutions

More
20 years 5 months ago #7443 by Cormorant
Cool - I really like the shape!

One point is just that it should have a highest (or lowest) point suitable for the docking hatch.

As for polygons, I realized that there are also models in I-War up to 500 polygons (the most complex one is a station model with a little more than 500, but I wouldn't go up to that number with a ship).

As for textures (I guess that's not too urgent ;) ), I realized that the I-War texture developpment kit contains templates for the Puffin, Patcom and Corvette which might be useful to get a sense of I-War 1 texturing style and the palette.

More
20 years 5 months ago #7456 by Hot4Darmat
Excellent work, Shane! You impress the hell out of me every draft.

I like this version very much. It definitely feels like a frigate. The only tweak I can suggest is to bring the vertical 'tail' back down. Ignore my previous suggestion about adding height to the rear, seeing the 'rudder' section makes me think airplane again, which I don't think is the desired image, overall. Maybe go with Cormorant's caution about keeping the highest point (in the middle of the back) for a UDC and then keep the tail section either level with that, or even gently taper it back down. I do like the rest ALOT.

Like the Terrapin, I can hardly wait to take her out for a spin.

--
Hot4Darmat

More
20 years 5 months ago #7458 by Shane
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'll place the new circular engines on the back and lower the rear profile.

Updates as soon as that's done. :D

More
20 years 5 months ago #7459 by Shane
Here's the current changes. I've added in the collision hull of the non-player comsec to show where it attaches. I've not included the comsec's polys in my poly count, assuming they will be displayed seperately (so they can dock and undock).

Front top view:
http://images.snapfish.com/338%3B3%3C4323232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3DXROQDF%3E2323467%3A8468%3Bot1lsi

Front bottom view:
http://images.snapfish.com/338%3B3%3C4323232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3DXROQDF%3E2323467%3A84694ot1lsi

Rear view:
http://images.snapfish.com/338%3B3%3C4323232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3DXROQDF%3E2323467%3A84692ot1lsi

Left view:
http://images.snapfish.com/338%3B3%3C4323232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3DXROQDF%3E2323467%3A84695ot1lsi

I've got a few tweaks to do; On the left view, see the line from the wingtips to the engine shroud? That middle point should be raised to clean up the lines. Then get the smoothing and specular values to the right settings.

The engines were somewhat expensive...We're up to 247 polygons on the model now. I still have to bevel in the bay for the comsec, so expect about 20 more to the count. Then some protrusions around the wingtips for weapon placements. That will leave us about 20 polys left for pure detail. We'll end up with a model of 300 triangular, non-planer polys. (If the frigate design is desired for Epic, we can modify the existing design and add polys up to a total count of 800.)

What do you think Hot4 and Cormorant? Is this suitable? Any advice?

It's getting difficult to keep this thing from looking like a big Dreadnaught. ;)