Frigate possibilities for Epic and I-War

More
20 years 4 months ago #8155 by Shane
Thanks Siva and Hot4. Your support enables me to bypass an easy (but unproductive) night of television and work on these things. :D

The release of both the Terrapin and the Frigate awaits a.) completion of textures on the frigate, and b.) my learning how to make those cool thruster core animations.

However, I might just steal some animations from the Puffin and Freighter (which are both very close to the Terrapin and Frigate) until I learn how to do my own.

I personally like the Frigate style of texture... it's more a no-nonsense scheme the military would employ. But, sadly, it does not hold up too well in the translation... many details are lost. The Terrapin, with it's more sloppy-looking textures, holds up better in the converter. Go figure. ;)

http://images.snapfish.com/3395373523232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3DXROQDF%3E2323484%3B95%3B%3C2ot1lsi

The Terrapin pics were taken near Hoffer's Wake Alpha; thus the reddish color. I took the Frigate to Hoffer's Wake Beta for it's picture. Before release (to Epic) I'll have to play about with the comsec textures also to darken them a bit. For Cormorant's version, I'll probably have to lighten the frigate body.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 4 months ago #8162 by Shane
Getting the bottom hull done tonight. Here's a quick render from the rear underside of the Frigate;

http://images.snapfish.com/3395394%3B23232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3DXROQDF%3E2323484%3C%3B3597ot1lsi

Doesn't really show much, but I thought the perspective was really cool on this image (entirely by luck:p). :D

The black ridge at the center is the heat sink/dissipation-material.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 4 months ago #8166 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
its amazingly good, i still feel it would be a little better if the cockpit was tucked in a bit more, but it still rocks. This better be the ship of some elite tradsman. Frigats are just not ecconomically viable in size, so only a few people with specific needs would have them. We wouldnt want loads of these things flying around would we! Ruin the Awe and wonder that you feel when you see them.

Jwk...comander of =HEMP HUNGRY MONKEY=
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=310

More
20 years 4 months ago #8174 by Sivadrake
so what is the name of the beast gonna be? it reminds me of some aquatic killer, barracuda or lamprey maybe, even though it doesnt really remsemble a lamprey...:)

"Faith lies in the ways of sin"

"Dust to dust we're wired into sadness"

More
20 years 4 months ago #8179 by MajorTom
... more like a maurauding giant squid. ;)

sorry, just kidding. I think the ship looks fantastic- It's great work! something to be really proud of.

Very few of the 'real' I-War ships or ship classes are named after animals. Nonetheless, maybe "Hammerhead Class Frigate" would sound more canon?

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 4 months ago #8183 by Hot4Darmat
Ship classes don't often get named until they get the green light for production (the contract bid has to be approved, and a specified number ordered, then they get the official handle). I think this frigate is supposed to be a prototype, or an experimental model in testing and development when it gets 'pressed' into action. So maybe it won't ever get a class name other than 'experimantal', and we certainly won't be seeing fleets of them (unless someone generates a pile of them in ifleet or for some other type of gameplay). It will definitely be an impressive sight to see just one.

The ultimate word on this lies with Cormorant and Shane, though. This beast is their love-child! (I gotta admit, I like Hammerhead-class...I like Hammer-class even better. Sounds like something that could really pound its target)

--
Hot4Darmat