Frigate possibilities for Epic and I-War

More
20 years 5 months ago #7547 by Hot4Darmat
Cormorant's right, the Dreadnaught bridge is very well depicted, with loads of details...this is where most of the action takes place anyway, and the accomodation module is where much of the daily living of a crew takes place. The rest is operational access and maintenance space. I'll email you the relevant chapters (with interior descriptions) soon...but the actual narrative will seem pretty out of whack cause you'll have to wait for the whole thing to be done to get all 25 (or 26) chapters of the story.

The Defiance movie is very nice, and shows the bridge and main axial corridor of the Puffin, but is not as striking as the I-war intro movie. Defiance's is designed to introduce you more to the main characters and show how they got ahold of a corvette, rather than to set an entire historical and political backdrop. But definitely worth viewing many times nonetheless (a great asteroid field chase scene, ending with a very dramatic and ominous 'overshadowing-by-the-oppressor" image). Unfortunately, just like the good old Star Trek days, they never really address why almost everyone from the bridge crew has to go on the landing/boarding party, and everyone else on the navy ship just somehow stays in their bunks during a boarding action...Oh well, I have a special and very forgiving knack for suspending disbelief.

The frigate model is very nice indeed. I hope you get a handle on the lightwave differences without too much difficulty. (* tries not to sound too eager*) It will be nice to see these excellent models ingame soon!

--
Hot4Darmat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 5 months ago #7561 by Stephen Robertson PS
The 'official' story (not actually shown in-game) is that the Rome was running on a skeleton crew, as it was just finishing repairs at a Navy base. When Hayes' ship was identified on long-range scans, like the 'Enterprise' in so many situations before, the Rome was the only ship available to intercept.
The Bridge Crew thought that their corvette could easily overpower the Puffin tug, and they were right, but hadn't banked on Edison's crafty trick.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
I-War series co-designer.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
I-War series co-designer.

More
20 years 5 months ago #7562 by Hot4Darmat
See, that's what I love about fiction. There's always an answer. Even when there wasn't one before (and I'm not implying there wasn't, Steve. I'm sure you guys had that all worked out beforehand), you can create one that fits nicely with such ease. That's why I can gloss over these things...because I'm certain that there IS an answer to these things somewhere.

Dang. Maybe I should revisit that whole 'religion thing' I'd dismissed so cavalierly up until now.

--
Hot4Darmat

More
20 years 5 months ago #7578 by Hot4Darmat
How goes the texturing of the frigate? Is the new Lightwave package all you wanted it to be?

--
Hot4Darmat

More
20 years 5 months ago #7582 by Shane
Had I never used LW 7.0, I would say LW 5.6 is the best modeling package ever created by man.

Knowing of the more advanced version, I have to honestly say there's a few time-saving shortcuts I miss greatly (especially when using UV maps).

But the 5.6 is powerful in it's own right... It did the animation for the tv series Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and the M&M animated commercials. And I never did get my exports of Spiff converted to correct formats until I opened and created the surfaces in 5.6. The earlier LW version is simply the cleanest, best way to place models in EoC.

So I'm quite happy with both. 7.0 for movie development with really high-poly counts (and bells and whistles), and 5.6 for actual in-game objects.

The palette choice on the Frigate is a little confining for Cormorant's mod (I'm increasingly impressed with what PS did with I-War using so few resources). So I'm lagging on the textures for the frigate, but my weekends are offest from my wife's, and tomorrow and Wed are my off-days (YEA! [8D]). I expect to be done with the textures by then. Also, I hope to have the Terrapin ingame by Thursday.

I'll post updates as soon as I have them. :)

No confusion; just wrong or right ... Only Solutions

More
20 years 5 months ago #7585 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
This thing should have some turrets most definatly., Its looks EXACTLY the part, a cross breed between a corvette and a small cruiser. But its manuverablity will not make it affective with only forward non-swiveling weapons. Id personally place two small flat quad-lite turrets (the ones you see on the Navy Destroyer, but smaller and with quadlites not gattling cannons) and some missiles coming out the rear.

This ship would not be seen very many times, as it is an unecconomical shape and would only really be owned privatly. its too big to be as efficent as corvettes or fighters, but its two small to get that weight and power edge that full cruisers do.

Also, by the size of those rear engines id say this guy would be very good at going forwards or backwards, as in....as good as a heavy corvette at least.