I-War 2 won't run on Vista.

More
14 years 6 months ago #16979 by sporkme
Replied by sporkme on topic I-War 2 won't run on Vista.
HOW TO RUN INDEPENDENCE WAR 2: EDGE OF CHAOS IN VISTA

This worked for me, anyway.

Install to a short directory, like c:\iw2\.
Run C:\iw2\IW2EoCGS.exe to start the game.

It would not run in the default installation directory no matter what, but I experienced no issues with UAC off.

you might need to start->run->"msconfig"->tools->disable UAC

I am not sure if UAC matters.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #16988 by Morcar
Replied by Morcar on topic I-War 2 won't run on Vista.
Hi gretz from Germany. These game lie 4 years in my basemend.. now i try it on vista. after 2 long evenings i get to the Mainscreen (yellow lines whit black and the head of Celvin rotate...) But there is no menü.. only the Head. I am the only whit that Problem?

[FcGame]
graphics_device = dx7graph.fcGraphicsDeviceD3D
sound_device = dx7sound.fcSoundDeviceDA
network_device = dx8net.fcNetworkDeviceDP8
input_device = dxinput.fcInputDeviceDI
cdaudio_device =
movie_device = binkmovie.fcMovieDeviceBink
cd_key =
disable_sound = 0
full_screen = 1
width = 1280
height = 1024
bit_depth = 32
video_driver = "NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT"

I start with the IW2EoCGS

Thx for any Help

More
14 years 4 months ago #16989 by Shant
Replied by Shant on topic I-War 2 won't run on Vista.
Well, I encountered and solved this identical problem on Windows XP so it may not apply to you Vista users, but it's worth a shot. I noticed that when you don't have your hardware acceleration running at at least halfway or higher, you get that driver error. So here's what I did in XP, you can try to do the equivalent in Vista. Let us know if it works!

1 - Right click on desktop
2 - Click on 'Properties'
3 - Go to the 'Settings' Tab
4 - Click on 'Advanced'
5 - Go to 'Troubleshoot'
6 - Set the 'Hardware Acceleration' Tab all the way to the right

I noticed that when the hardware acceleration tab was at halfway or under, I would get the driver error. When it was set to over halfway, it worked. There must be a Vista equivalent for this option. See if that works. Good luck fellas. Now I'm hoping someone can help me with my issue, I'm gonna post a thread now.

More
14 years 4 months ago #16990 by jazzylg
Replied by jazzylg on topic I-War 2 won't run on Vista.
I've been running the game on vista with no problem. The thing with vista is security issues. You have to run the game as administrator. You may also have to cut off, or disable your internet firewall and antivirus programs.

More
14 years 3 months ago #16998 by tombombodil
jazzylg,

This administrator thing works for me in the Wolfenstien game and a few others. Thanks for this. This will help me also

More
14 years 1 month ago #17006 by leebojammin

Originally posted by grajan

This is an even later response, but I rediscovered EoC today after years of neglect, and encountered the "Vista encountered a problem" problem with my NVidia graphics card, and studiously followed the sugestions in this topic. The only way I could get it to run on my main machine running Vista Ultimate was to alter the "flux.ini" file as described previously with one addition I had to alter the "bit_depth = " entry to 16 instead of the usual 32. After that it worked fine.

Hope this is of help.

[FcGame]
graphics_device = dx7graph.fcGraphicsDeviceD3D
sound_device = dx7sound.fcSoundDeviceDA
network_device = dx8net.fcNetworkDeviceDP8
input_device = dxinput.fcInputDeviceDI
cdaudio_device =
movie_device = binkmovie.fcMovieDeviceBink
cd_key =
disable_sound = 0
full_screen = 1
width = 1440
height = 900
bit_depth = 16
video_driver = "NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS"

Annoyingly on my Laptop, using intel built in graphics, it started running properly first time.

I just wanted to say thanks quickly for the reminder that 16bit instead of 32 works.

Im running windows 7 64bits with 8800gtx and had tried everything including all compat modes and nothing was working , as I kept getting nasty graphic tearing, so thanks for this heads up ;)

I never played the game but found it while looking at other game review info and wanted to try it out. I admire space sims that aren't just about combat ( I have X3 ) because while Im sure many enjoy such things, I suspect when we encounter 'ET' someday we hopefully will be doing other things too than just using our toy guns [ I prefer deep exploration instead of deep combat though combat at some point in space exploration is likely to be necessary o_0] ;)

cheers
leebo

Sincerely
G.LeeJ

Sincerely
G.LeeJ