Mod Wish List Here!

More
21 years 7 months ago #2993 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Mod Wish List Here!

I'll try to get a usable damage interface up by Monday. Autorepair and ENG GUI will take a while, yet.

Good news!

Re: general damage & loadout progress tracking

I can keep a spreadsheet up on my site. I was hoping you could help tamp down the requirements and design of loadout. If it is well understood, maybe parts could be handed out (some tasks don't break well).

-Gtrout

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 7 months ago #3001 by Flamineo
Replied by Flamineo on topic Mod Wish List Here!

originally posted by EricMan64
If I remember correctly, my experience has shown that tasks are only halted when not detached if they were called by a task.

Oooohhhhh. Thanks. So StartNewGame() creates a top-level task, Main() inherits its context because it's non-task, making base_check() a child of the top-level task, which continues running for the duration of the game? Or base_check() ends up top-level for some reason, which I still wouldn't quite understand, but would look much the same in output terms. Ach, either'll do me.

originally posted by GrandpaTrout
I can keep a spreadsheet up on my site.

Sterling; since you'd mentioned that earlier, I somehow got the idea you meant more fine-detailed, like Russian dolls. I've mailed you a first shot at breaking things up; haven't even attempted prioritisation.

Need sleep now.

Edited by - Flamineo on 13 Oct 2002 03:52:53

More
21 years 7 months ago #3005 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic Mod Wish List Here!
I think I got the load function working! I'll test it in the morning, for now it's off ta bed.

Oh, and Flamineo, if you like the swirly camera thing you can go ahead and use it if you ever need something like that. It has its own function there that you can call to have it swirl around any sim from a specified distance.:)

More
21 years 7 months ago #3011 by Mehrunes
Replied by Mehrunes on topic Mod Wish List Here!
::dances::

You know, I just thought of something. The game normally calls all cleanup scripts on space exit, which is before you have a chance to save. The way your package works is the opposite, you can save in space however none of the space_exit scripts are run to clean up things. We need a way to run scripts that set up globals to be stored in save games. State driven tasks may need a warning too in order to store everything they might need to start up again.

Edited by - Mehrunes on 13 Oct 2002 17:38:43

More
21 years 7 months ago #3018 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic Mod Wish List Here!
I don't think we need to worry about any of the cleanup stuff, because exiting space doesn't clean any of the things that are saved anyway. I actually think space cleanup does less than I ever assumed. I'm starting to think that my base_check will still be running if I start up space again.

More
21 years 7 months ago #3021 by Mehrunes
Replied by Mehrunes on topic Mod Wish List Here!

I don't think we need to worry about any of the cleanup stuff, because exiting space doesn't clean any of the things that are saved anyway. I actually think space cleanup does less than I ever assumed. I'm starting to think that my base_check will still be running if I start up space again.

I was talking about scripted packages that use the 'space_exit' line to save out important information. For instance, iFleet uses that opportunity to put the player's fleet in a set of Globals. If the game were to be saved and reloaded without calling the shutdown function those globals would never be created, and thus the player's fleet would vanish on load. If the global's were left to exist after the fleet is spawned then saving and reloading wouldn't destroy the fleet, but revert it to it's state the last time the game was saved after the shutdown function was called. Updating those globals in real-time is unnecessarily costly, especially when you start storing things like a ship's location and current status. Task.Calls would be sufficient for most pre-save functions, but state-driven tasks might need better warning if the game is about to be saved in order to make sure they have everything they need to start again stored in Globals or the task state.

Edited by - Mehrunes on 13 Oct 2002 21:24:57